home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Friday, October 19, 2007

Hen Day - Book Group

I totally biffed it and didn't take any pictures at hen day. I just wasn't thinking. I had to beat it back home to get my Hannah Baby when she got off the bus all by her 5 year-old self. (I just made it before the bus turned down our dirt road.)
All is not lost thought! Jill Blogged Hen Day. We made diapers for Jill and had yummy home made Pizza. Rebecca Made the Pizza and should post the recipe on her blog!

Today I went to Book Group. I have wanted to do this for months but never got the time off to go. I don't work of Fridays now so (if I can remember to) I can go.
For today's meeting we were to read The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy.
The Scarlet Pimpernel
(I cannot recomend this version of the Scarlet Pimpernel. It doesn't follow the book and was so dissapointing. The old 1935 version was much better.)

I have to make one of those real life confessions here. I happen to have a learning disability.
I don't read very well. I am really slow at it and have to kinda fight my way through books. I was very fortunate to have a mother that picked up on this at a very early age. She too had the problem. She read to me as often as possible. She also purchased books on tape for me. At age 9, I could barely read Dick and Jane, however, my interest was much higher than that. My favorite books to listen to in 3rd grade were Robinson Crusoe, The Three Musketeers, The Sea Wolf, and such. Thanks to the books on tape, I was able to enjoy the literature I craved.
Anyway, my point is that I didn't have time to read the book so I looked for it in an audio form. I also didn't find out what the book was till Sunday and didn't have time to go out and buy a copy. I got lucky and stumbled on Libri Vox. It is wonderful. People all over the globe are working together to get free audio books out there. I am so thankful. I found the Scarlet Pimpernel here. I was able to down load it chapter by chapter and listen to it as I had time. My kids were so excited. Some of them have inherited forms of the reading problem and all love literature.
Today I also have the DVD arriving from Netflix. I can't wait to indulge in the romance of it all.
Next moth, the book group is coming to my house. Since it is November, I chose the Scarlet Letter. Something good and Puritanish in time for Thanks Giving.
I found a public domain recording here. You can download it chapter by chapter.

2 comments:

GlowWorm said...

blogged

Lucy said...

Thanks! and now it's linked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...