home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October Morning

October Morning

I love fall! Yes I know those trees are still green in late October but there is an almost imperceptible line of color change in them. The air is finally crisp here in the morning. Time to pull out jackets and make hot cocoa. In Missouri the fall lasts for weeks. I love how nice and cool it is. I think Bryan and I are going to go out and start shopping for a wood stove. We have so much wood this year, thanks to the ice storms. If you look closely at the tree line above you can see some of the skeleton trees left from that storm.

We made hot cocoa and toast this morning in honor of the cold weather. The kids were most happy. Fresh hot cocoa and toast made from home-made, whole grain bread is just one of those things that make this life the best. The only thing that would have made it better would be to have the milk come from our own cows. (next year! maybe)

Here is my hot cocoa in one of my favorite mugs which my brother Joe made.
Hot Cocoa

This is our basic cocoa recipe

6 cups milk
3/4 cup cocoa syrup

Mix and heat in a pot.

Variations:
Mexican Cocoa - add 1 tbsp cinnamon and a pinch or two of chili powder.

Flavored cocoa - add a tsp of your favorite extract like:
almond
orange,
mint
rum
etc.

Cocoa Syrup
1/2 cup sifted cocoa powder
1 cup sugar (we use sucanant and it can be cut to 3/4 cup)
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp vanilla

Combine the cocoa, sugar, and salt in a sauce pan. Add the water gradually, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
Cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Boil 1 minute and remove from heat and cool.
When it is cool, add the vanilla. This makes about 1 1/4 cups syrup.

4 comments:

Almostgreat said...

I will have to try this when I get to mom's house and can use real milk. The shelf stable stuff here isn't much better than powdered milk. hmmmmm I miss real milk. So for now I stick to a big steamy mug of swiss miss made with water. It's tasty!

teacakebiscuit said...

what a perfect autumn day! I love this time of year :)

GlowWorm said...

How much syrup do you put for a cup of cocoa?

Lucy said...

I would use 1-2 Tbsp of the syrup per cup of milk. It would depend on the age of the person (child or adult) and the particular Chocolate needs at the time. :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...