home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Gingerbread Hot Cocoa

I thought I would share some of our family's Christmas Traditions. (I hope I get more than just this one posted.)
Every Christmas my children and I usually make hot cocoa mix of some sort to give to our friends and family for gifts. A couple of years ago we stumbled onto a recipe for a spiced hot cocoa. It has quickly become a family favorite. It tastes like gingerbread Cocoa.
Texas Cocoa
Here is the recipe:

Gingerbread Hot Cocoa Mix:
1/2 cup sugar (we use sucanant)
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
Blend the mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container with a lid until ready to use. Makes 3/4 cup mix.

To make hot chocolate, add 3/4 cup mix to 2 cups water and simmer for about 4 minutes. Stir in 6 cups milk and reheat. Add 1 tsp vanilla and serve.

For single serving:
Add 1 1/2 Tbsp mix to 1/4 cup water. Boil until thickened. (I don't think it need the full 4 minutes here) add 3/4 to 1 cup milk and reheat. Add a bit of vanilla and enjoy.

We like to package this up and send it with Christmas goodies to those choice friends that love spicy things.
Check out this link for many more hot cocoa recipes.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

yum! What a fun blog! I stumbled on it from a blog about stockings! (i like to do that sometimes jump from blog to blog via others' replies to posts!)

Alisa said...

Nice mug. Did you pay him or bribe him to do that? Was it a gift? Do you have the other kids' names too? Can you sense some jealousy?

mama k said...

mmmm... I think I just might have to try that one!

Jeanne said...

Alisa maybe if you named one of your children after uncle Joe you might get one with his name on it also. Who knows.

Lucy said...

You see I know how to play my cards; Baby sister, lived with them for 2 years while going to college, named my first born after him.

mama k said...

Just stopping by to say...
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
& Blessings for the New Year! :)

manders said...

Aunt Lucy, I have a question about this recipe. So let's say that you want to make this mix and give it to someone as a gift because this someone loves hot chocolate but this someone is very lazy and not a good cook and so the whole add milk step at the end would be too much work for them and they would probably mess it up and hate the whole thing. So what I'm asking is could you put powdered milk in this so that all they had to do was the boiling at the beginning or would that make this nasty and not work at all.--Amanda

Anonymous said...

I am not sure how I found you, but I wanted to let you know I tried your recipe for Gingerbread Hot Cocoa and I love it! THANK YOU! I have been on a mission to find a nice receipt o make at home and I am thrilled to find this one. I will do a post on it soon and will link back to you. Sincerely, Emily

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...