home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Laudry Soap

Soap 1

On occasion I make my own laundry soap. I started making it out of necessity. My daughter Sarah had the most sensitive skin when she was born and I wasn't able to use any commercial soaps, detergents or wipes on her or she would break out into a nasty rash.
I started making my own soap at that time and that translated over to making my own laundry soap.
Later, when Bryan lost both his jobs and we had to cut everything way back, I saved us a lot of money by making my own laundry soap, along with several other economical practices.

Here is the recipe I am currently using.

Ingredients:
Plain Lye Soap (I make my own)
Washing Soda
Borax
Essential oils
Soap 2
The directions are simple enough.
I take the bar of soap and grate it with a cheese grater.
Then I take equal parts soap, washing Soda, and Borax.
I place all these in my food processor and blend it until it is a fine powder. Then I add some essential oils that I like. A blend to mix them in well.
My current favorite scent is made from equal parts tea tree, lavender, and peppermint essential oils.
Soap 3
To use this I add about 1/4 cup per washer load.
If you have hard water, you may want to add about 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the rinse cycle. It will help prevent soap build up on the cloths. It also serves as natural fabric softener. I won't leave your cloths smelling like vinegar either.

The soap really gets the cloths clean. The essential oils make the cloths smell great too.

Here is a link to one of the first laundry soap sites I found several years ago. I have made the soap her way too. I like it that way but sometimes I don't have the luxury of time to make the liquid soap.
I have used this soap to clean my cloth diapers and am really happy with the results.

3 comments:

mama k said...

I have been thinking about this, but I need to use it on cloth diapers as well. I was worried about possible build up with using regular "soap" in the recipe.
But I'm glad to hear you had success with it!

greetingarts said...

It also looks like snow...!

Emily Cole said...

Wow, great job Lucy! I'm impressed... I wonder if you'll be offering it at your soap shop? I would love to try it, but don't think I could make it myself! Em

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...