home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Friday, January 04, 2008

Gyoza Soup

OK, I am so trying to South Beach it right now with my Prairie Hen Promise and all. I have a hard time coming up with recipes that are edible. Today my nieces Rebecca and Amanda came over for a Henna day and we (with the help of Miyuki) came up with the most marvelous low carb soup. We wanted Gyoza really bad but that involves carbs and some frying action. I can't have that so we turned it into the soup.
Gyoza Soup
So here is how we made this carb friendly.

Gyoza Soup

Meatballs:
1 pound breakfast sausage (you can use ground pork)
1 inch of fresh ginger grated
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1/4 head cabbage shredded
1-2 green onions chopped
Mix together and make into balls and drop into boiling water in a large stock pot.

To this pot now add:
Chopped cabbage (we had about 1/4 cabbage left but more would have been nice)
3-4 chopped carrots
2-3 ribs celery chopped
(any other veggies you happen to have that you think would taste good)

To make the stock tasty add:
6-8 tsp chicken bouillon
1 tbsp miso paste (optional but sooo good)

Boil this together until the veggies are at their desired softness.
When you are ready to serve it add:
1 tbsp soy sauce
a big drizzle of toasted sesame oil

Enjoy!!

9 comments:

Alisa said...

Would you include the carrots for phase one? And how long do you think this would keep? Todd and I bought Mr. Bento lunch boxes for our anniversary gifts to each other, and this seems like the perfect thing to pack in it.

Thanks. Keep the South Beach recipes coming.

Lucy said...

Well, the carrots aren't phase one and can be left out. They just make the soup lovely and yellowish and they are better for you than noodles. I don't know how this would keep, if you put it in the fridge it might do better. You would have to heat it then. I would check out the better bento blog for storage help. She has all the best bento info.

Marylois said...

I can taste it already, yummmmmm. I can imagine mushrooms and bell peppers in there too. And what is miso paste? I've never heard of it before.

Alisa said...

We had this for dinner last night, and for lunch today. It was really great. It's such a nice way to have vegetables for lunch, without preparing them in the middle of a busy day. I almost always forget lunch. I'm too caught up in what I'm doing and suddenly it's time to take the kids to school, and time for work. It's easy enough to stuff the kids with carbs, but I'm trying to get away from that for myself, at least. Thanks.

Mary Lou Weidman said...

My goodness I want to make this soup. My kitchen is torn apart for redoing but as soon as my new stove arrives and is hooked up, I am making this for dinner. I love your blog and the fun colorful items that pop up here. Your aprons are adorable.
Keep up the good work.
Mary Lou
Marylouweidman.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I was kind of surprised this recipe didn't include more of the yummy ingredients from Mi's Gyoza dipping sauce. I'm going to try adding some heat, and something sour added at serving time - maybe rice vinegar or lime juice.

Lil

Alisa said...

I'm making this for the second time, and boy, is it good. Plus nice and simple to make. And my kids ALMOST believe that the cabbage is really noodles.

Anonymous said...

I finally made the soup. I used ground turkey because it was what I had, and it was delicious. I love the flavor of the ginger in the meatballs. I put in what vegies I had in the fridge: zucchini, carrots, onions, celery, and some lovely mushrooms.

When I served it, I added a little lemon juice, soy sauce, a drop or two of sesame oil, and a couple of dashes of Tobasco sauce. It was some kind of fabulous!

Ms. Lil

Tiffani said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing. I threw it all in the pot at once with a few chopped mushrooms and it turned out great (even after I walked off and forgot about it simmering out there in the kitchen for some time)!
Tiffani

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...