home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Rhubarb - Orange Custard Pie

Rhubarb Pie 007

I don't know if Rhubarb Pie is an acquired taste but this one is the only recipe I will eat.
This is my mom's recipe and it holds some of my very fondest memories. As a little girl I was allergic to Rhubarb and would break out in hives if I ate it. I knew this would happen but I couldn't resist snitching some of this pie. It is that good. Tangy, sweet, sour, and buttery. It does everything you need a pie to do!
I have been craving this pie for months but there is sadly no Rhubarb to be found right here, not even frozen rhubarb. So my little brother Jon said that he could get some up in central Missouri and that he would bring some when he came again. HE DID! THANK YOU JON! So I made pie.
Rhubarb pie 3
Mom's Rhubarb - Orange Custard Pie

1 Pie crust
3 eggs separated
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups rhubarb cut in 1/2 inch slices
1/3 cup chopped pecans
  • Beat egg whites until stiff; add 1/4 cup sugar gradually, beat well after each addition.
  • Add butter and juice concentrate to egg yolks and beat thoroughly. Add remaining 1 cup sugar, flour and salt; beat well.
  • Add rhubarb to yolk mixture; stir well. Gently fold in meringue (egg whites). Pour into pastry-lined 9" pie pan. (make high fluted rim) Sprinkle with nuts.
  • Bake at 375 deg F 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325 deg F and bake for an additional 45-50 minutes. Cool.

Here is a seal of approval.

Rhubarb pie 2

My Nephew James couldn't get enough of it. It was good enough to lick the spoon when you are done!

3 comments:

Alphacyg said...

This. Pie. Is. Awesome. I live near Lucy and mooch dairy products from her. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get some Rhubarb. I must have it again!

Elisa said...

Yum, I love rhubarb pie! This recipe looks like an interesting variation I'll have to try. Thanks, Lucy!

elisecake said...

Just made this pie with strawberries and lemon instead of rhubarb and orange. IT IS AMAZING! Thanks for the great recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...