home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Great Grandma's Raisin Loaf

Grandma's Raisin Bread
This is the only recipe I have the belonged to my Father's Mother. My Bennion cousins talk about her great cooking but my older siblings didn't. They grew up with my grandma Wood and she was a most excellent cook. So the recipes I have are hers.
I found this little treasure when I was digging through a recipe file my mom was getting rid of. It is written in my mother's hand writing and she said she must have copied it when she first was married.
Raisin Loaf
Boil for 15 minutes:
1 1/4 pkg of raisins (I think a package was a pound)
2 cups sugar
3 1/2 Cup water
Add 1 Cup Shortening (I used butter or lard) while mixture is still hot.
When cool add:
3 eggs well beaten.
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 heaping sieve flour (you gotta love measurements like that - it is 5+ cups) (you can use white or wheat flour)
Bake 1 1/2 hours in a moderate oven 325 deg in loaf tins.
ENJOY!
This loaf is very yummy (If you like cooked raisins). Even my husband, who hates quick breads like banana bread and zucchini bread, loved this bread.

6 comments:

All the places you love said...

I'm sure if you talked to Aunt Eileen you could get some other recipes.

Marylois said...

Thanks for finding and posting this recipe. Being named after grandma you were destined to find this gem.

Lucy said...

I have Whitney on the job of sloothng out any recipes her grandma has. Her mom (Barbra I think) said she didn't have any but maybe if they dig through aunt Eileen's files, they might come up with a treasure or two. But it will take trusting Aunt Eileen's memory to come through.

Dream It said...

thanks for posting this recipe, it looks so good!

Anonymous said...

Yo, Lucy! I'm going to assume that the 1 shortening is 1 cup? Stop me if I'm wrong!!

Lucy said...

Yes. Sorry, I just fixed it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...