home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

From My Files

Recipe Treasures
This is a shot of some of my recipe files. These folders are almost 30 years worth of recipe collecting and perfecting. There are some serious treasures in here. Problem is the recipes don't always make it back into their folders and the folders don't always make it back into their box.
One of the reasons I share so many recipes on this blog is to ensure that some of the best of these recipes are not lost.
Here is one of my children's favorites. It is simple to make, requires few ingredients, and always makes them happy.
Donburi is basically Japanese fast food. It consists of a bowl of hot, sticky rice and some meat, eggs, or vegetables on top. This particular recipe only has eggs and onions but any veggies could be added for more nutrition and flavor.
Egg Bound Onions
Tama Tama Donburi (egg bound onions)
1 onion sliced
1 cup water
1 tsp hondashi (fish soup stock flavoring)
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Mirin + 1 tsp
4 eggs lightly beaten
Put everything but the eggs into a pan and boil till the onions are translucent.
Pour the eggs over the onions in a thin stream. Cook just until the eggs are set. DO NOT STIR.
Remove from heat and serve over rice.
Variation:
Add any chopped veggies to the onions you like such as carrots, celery, broccoli, etc.

2 comments:

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Your recipes look like my recipes; every time I need one, I have to search through years of recipes to find it. Or, generally, give up and make something else.
sigh.

Ann said...

Wow.. so unique and very new to me. really you ahve a great recipe I would love to try some of them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...