home tutorials recipes aprons/patterns Soaps

Monday, October 25, 2010

Yarn Dyetorial

Yarn Dye 009
Isn't that lovely?!
Step two of my Yarn Experiments was to dye the yarn.
So...... Here is a quick tute of what I did for this project.
1.
Tie Dye Totorial - Yarn Dying 003
First I put the yarn into hanks of about 2 oz each (weight).
Then I got them wet with water and squeezed as much out as I could.
2.
Yarn Dye 001
Then I mixed up my dye concentrates (remember I told you how to do this HERE.)
After I mixed the concentrates. I mixed them to the desired colors (just had fun really mixing). I mixed enough to make 1/2 cup of the mixtures. Then I added enough water to that to make 1 cup.
3.
Yarn Dye 006
Then I poured the mixed and diluted dye over the wet hanks of yarn. I put two together at a time so I would have about 4 oz of each color I mixed.
Let that sit for 15-20 minutes.
Then Add 1 cup of prepared Soda Ash Solution (instructions found HERE).
Let this sit for 1 hour to over night.
Then rinse in running water until the water squeezed from the yarn runs clear.
Yarn Dye 013
Line dry for several hours. I did bring some in because it was starting to rain (fall in Missouri is mostly rain or the threat thereof.) I put it in the dryer on "delicate" setting and it dried all right. It got a bit fluffy but that made it feel so soft and wonderful.
Yarn Dye 010
Now to do my project with it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...